Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Week 3 EOC: My Deomgraphics

Born between 1977 and 2000, I definitely fall somewhere in between that realm. Not too shy to tell my age so let’s just say I am 20-something. “Millennials (or Generation Y)” is what I am called by demographics. “All generations are comfortable with technology, but this is the generation that’s been formed by technology,” says a Yahoo! executive. For them, “it’s not something separate. It’s just something they do.” This is the first and most obvious conclusion that someone would gather from our generation. I myself remember school teachers bringing computers in the class room in elementary then a few years later, still in elementary school learning all about the computers. In many ways this statement is definitely true. Rather or not we are described to have embraced technology, than being born in it, I am one that can claim not completely embracing all of what my peers and society markets. I am not an ambit lover for the apple company, and just 3 years ago a friend and I fell out for a long time period over me not texting. Long story it was, but I know the wonderful world of text was the cause.

“They split the Millennials into tweens, teens, and young adults.” There are indeed differences that we all will experience through our lives. Within the large group are placed parents and children. I do not remember a world of cell phones as a child, however many of my nieces and nephews not even teenagers yet possess these electronics and many more than I knew existed. I still love and embrace the traditional pen and pad to jot ideas, but may equally have as much thoughts on a flash drive. I enjoy sketching on anything handy in the moment, and hate Photo Shop but love what it can do.

“Marketers need to form more precise age-specific segments within each group. More important, defining people by their birth date may be less effective than segmenting them by their lifestyle, life stage, or the common values they seek in the products they buy.” Indeed this is true. My feelings towards our pioneering world, that we as the Millennials live in, is broad on a scale from 1977-2000. My nephews and nieces feelings and sentiments I’m sure at the very moment differs from my own. The neighbor’s child may not have what you have but may grow to be that billionaire. How do we reach all effectively?

Marketing: An Introduction for Education Management Corporation, 10th Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment